9/11/2006

Why Read?

Revision 1
(I decided to change some things since I was half asleep when I posted this)











Sprint - A short race run at top speed, to run fast.
Marathon - An endurance contest.

These definitions are short but I think the contrast is easy to see. Just like the Christian walk is a life long race toward the finish line so should be our reading habits.

Given that our current seeker sensative church culture has minimized doctrine and over emphasized music and drama it is no surprise that most church goers do not read much. There is the occasional best seller that gets attention as well as a plethora of fiction novels to choose from but for some reason it is difficult to read books of Theology. I believe this is difficult because we want to see results now rather than determining where we want to be in 30 years and then working accordingly to get their. Becoming a serious student is not a sprint its a marathon. It takes years of practice, years of work.

It is important to read books that will provide long term growth. Biographies are an excellent choice if you have only read fictitious books in the past. Specifically biographies of the great Reformers. Biographies on men like John Owen, Martin Luther, John Calvin, George Whitfield, John Wesley, William Romaine, Johnathan Edwards, J Gresham Machen, and John Bunyan can provide a historical reference for why we believe what we believe today as well as inspire us to apply ourselves toward obedience to God's Word. One book that I would recommend is The Christian Leaders of the Last Century by J.C. Ryle.


















Reading books of Theology, Doctrine, and Church History is not always easy to commit to. It is similar to reading your Bible. Sometimes you may not have the time or the motivation to read for an hour strait so on those days just read 1 chapter. If you were to read just one chapter of a book everyday you could finish one to two books a month. That comes out to about twelve to twentyfour books a year depending on how quick of a reader you are. Thats alot of books. However, I wouldnt get too worried about your ability to read quickly. I have found that when I have spent more time studying a book I gain a better understanding of the topics discussed.

Here are some links to some good online Christian book retailers. Many of the books on these sites can be trusted but we must always hold to the Bible as our standard for faith and practice.

Monergism Books
Grace Books International
P&R Publishing
Scripture Truth


Again we need to make sure we are thinking long term when choosing a book to read. Instead of just reading for the moment try to read a book that will give you a better understanding of God and His redemptive work, His Soverignty, His plan of Salvation, His plan for our Sanctification, His Attributes, and His Church. Ultimately a better understanding of these topics will have a far greater impact in our lives and the lives of others. Reading is definately a long term marathon that can create usefulness in Gods people rather than a short term sprint that leaves us no better off tomorrow than we are today.

If you live in the Tri-Cities and have an interest in the type of books that I have just described but do not know where to start please leave a comment or email me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home